Bitterballen with an Italian Twist



I was going through some old blog posts from the old blog and decided to share this one over here with you.
The other day I decided to make ravioli from scratch. However in most recipes ricotta is used in the filling, but not everyone in our family likes that. So I decided to try a different filling. This is what I did for the filling. I ended up frying up some Italian sausage, seasoned it according to taste. I usually add some parsley, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. After it was nicely browned, I drained it and put it in a blender. I added 1 egg yolk, a table spoon of butter, a little extra virgin olive oil and asiago cheese. And mixed it till I had a nice fine mixture, which was now ready for the ravioli. I filled all the ravioli and when I was done, I still had lots of filling left. This is where the Dutch part in me came out again. I looked at the filling and the texture reminded me a bit of the filling of Bitterballen. Bitterballen are a Dutch bar food. Little deep fried balls with a savory filing, could be beef, chicken, veal and so on. I rolled the leftover filling in little balls about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. And coated them with Italian breadcrumbs, followed by dipping them in a mixture of 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon of milk and 1 tablespoon of corn oil. Followed by one more coating of breadcrumbs. In the meantime I preheated the deep fryer to 375 degrees F and quickly fried them up for about 2 minutes, till golden brown. I served them up with some marinara sauce. Zo lekker, so yummie as we would say in Dutch.


No comments

Post a Comment

© Life, Bites & Photographs

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig